Fisticuffs Mustache Wax is a wax to keep your mustache in place and style it according to your wishes. It comes in a small 15g tin with a nice vintage look, and is popular with men who want to carry their mustache wax in their pocket to have it handy when they need it.
Fisticuffs Mustache Wax is made of beeswax, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, petroleum jelly, and essential oils (which ones depends on the scent you are buying).
The great advantage of this mustache wax, compared to similar brands, is that oils like jojoba oil condition the hair of your beard. This means that this wax does more than just holding your mustache in place; it also conditions it and makes it feel nicer.
- Choose from three different scents: original (citrus/rosemary blend), lavender, and bay rum
- Vintage slide top locking tin
- Medium firm hold
- Made in the USA
- 15 gram of wax
- Slightly oily feel, semi-dense consistency
- Hand poured
- All three scents are pleasant
- Keeps your mustache in place for a good amount of time
- Does not discolor the mustache
- Handy tin that fits into a pocket
- Conditions and softens the mustache
- Does not work very well with very fine or very coarse beard hair
- Humid conditions weaken the hold of the wax
When you buy Fisticuffs Mustache Wax, you receive a tin with a top that is opened and closed by sliding the top backwards and forwards. The tin is decorated in a way that gives it a vintage look.
The tin is filled with 15 grams of mustache wax that can easily be applied to a mustache. It is a semi-dense wax and can be applied by using your fingers.
If you live in an area with moderate to cool temperatures, then this mustache wax will do a very good job of keeping your mustache in place. The wax does not perform too well in hot and humid conditions, and you might find that you have to reapply it every few hours, while in cooler climates the wax can do its job all day long after just one application.
No matter whether you choose the classic version, which has a citrusy aroma with a hint of rosemary, the lavender version, or the slightly different bay rum mustache wax, you will find that the scent is not overpowering and just strong enough to be noticed, though the scent wears off over time.
Fisticuffs Mustache Wax does a very good job on normal beard hair, i.e. hair that is neither too thin nor too coarse. Men with very thin hair or very coarse hair might find that the wax does not do the best job possible.
The wax has a pleasant texture, and you will not notice any discoloration of your mustache after the application. The mustache wax is suitable for all hair colors.
Of course, Fisticuffs is not the only company that sells mustache wax. There are two competitors that have products which have features that are interesting to check out.
- Beardbrand Tea Tree Mustache Wax—This all-natural mustache wax comes in a genius package. It is almost like a lip balm in its looks and very handy to carry around. You apply it to your mustache like you would apply lip balm to your lips. This means there is no mess and no waste. The problem with this product might be the overpowering smell (a bit musty—might be the lanolin which is one of the ingredients).
- Firehouse Mustache Wax Wacky Tacky—This mustache wax is a good alternative for men who live in areas with constant heat or humid conditions—Firehouse Mustache Wax does its job even in these conditions. The drawback here is also the strong scent that might not be every man’s cup of tea, considering it is a product that is applied very close to your nose.
Fisticuffs Mustache Wax is a great all-rounder and suitable for most men who live in moderate climates or cool regions. It provides a medium firm hold which will suit men with an average sized mustache.
Firehouse Mustache Wax is also suitable for humid climates, while the Beardbrand Tea Tree Mustache Wax can’t handle warmer temperatures (and will melt if you accidentally leave it in a hot place).
While the other two mustache waxes also do the job well, especially the Beardbrand Tea Tree Mustache Wax, they are not suitable for men who dislike having very strong scents right under their noses, especially when the scents might not be quite pleasant. In this regard, Fisticuffs Mustache Wax stands out because each of the three scents is neither overpowering nor too weak.
Each of the three mustache waxes comes in a different package. While the Beardbrand’s mustache wax comes in a roller shape, like a lip balm, the other two come in tins. The Firehouse mustache wax comes in a round tin while the Fisticuff mustache wax comes in a handy, small rectangular tin with a nice vintage design.
Taking everything into consideration—price, design, content, effect, hold, scent, etc.— Fisticuffs Mustache Wax comes out as our winner. If you need a stronger hold than medium firm, Fisticuffs also have a strong hold mustache wax available.