When it comes to shaving, achieving a clean and smooth shave needs the proper tools and skill. No one can simply grab a razor and shave away the hairs on whatever body part and expect to have a clean shave without doing the right steps of prepping the skin and hair to be shaved. On the other hand, what you should be expecting is that you will have razor bumps, burns and even hair that is left unshaven.
Not only will incorrect shaving leave you looking messy with hairs still sticking out, your skin will also become irritated, inflamed and even have cuts. Instead of looking clean, you will only end up looking like someone who doesn’t know how to take care of yourself.
In addition to using the right razor that has sharp blades for shaving smoothly, it is also important that you have the right lubrication. Lubricating the skin where you will be shaving is an important part of your shaving routine since this prepares the skin and the hairs to be shaven. This is especially helpful for those who have dry skin and experience itchiness and irritation after each shave.
Individuals who also have curly, coarse, or wavy hair also benefit greatly from applying lubrication before shaving since this step makes the hair stand out and become softer to be easily shaven. As such, razor burns and razor bumps are avoided since the hairs are cut and shaven properly.
Because of this, we know that using the right lubrication is a must for shaving. This then brings us to the question—which is better, a shaving cream or shaving gel?
In this article, we will discuss the advantages of both types of shaving lubrication to help you identify which one is the right choice for your shaving regimen.
Which is Better—Shaving Cream or Shaving Gel?
When we talk about these two types of lubrication, the choice of which one to use actually relies on every individual and his skin type. While there are shaving foams which are the most known and cheap type of lubrication, they do not provide the best lubrication for shaving since they are mostly made up of air. Here are the advantages of using both types of shaving lubrication:
Shaving creams are used by applying a small amount of water and rubbing them on your skin until it forms a rich lather. Most shaving creams come in a tub or tube form where you will only need to get a small amount and apply it onto your skin.
Some advice using a shaving brush to apply shaving cream since this can create a rich lather even with a small amount of cream applied. The following are the main advantages of using a shaving cream:
- Help reduce cuts– Shaving creams effectively soften the skin and the hair which makes them easier to shave. When the hair to be shaved is already softened, this means that you will no longer have to apply heavy pressure on your razor to have a clean shave. Lesser pressure means lesser cuts.
- Makes hair easier to shave– As we have said, shaving creams can soften the hair. Because of this, you can easily glide your razor softly while still letting you cut the hair with ease.
- Makes the hair stick out– When you apply shaving cream on the hair that needs to be shaved, it helps in making the hair stand out. This is especially helpful for individuals who have curly hair that tend to stick onto the skin. When the hair is already standing up, a cleaner shave is achieved while also preventing razor bumps from occurring.
- Moisturizes the skin– Another advantage in using shaving creams is that they contain ingredients that help moisturize and nourish the skin. When you use a shaving cream, your skin will look soft and smooth after you shave.
Shaving gels, as their name suggest, are made with a jelly and transparent texture that can also come in a tub, tube or can container. Just like shaving creams, shaving gels also prepare the skin and hair by lubricating it in order for you to easily shave off the hair.
Shaving gels also have a moisturizing ingredient to keep skin smooth and soft, which is a great factor for individuals who have dry skin and experience razor bumps and stubbles. The following are the main advantages of using shaving gels:
- Protects your skin– Shaving gels help protect your skin from razor cuts. This is because of the texture of the gel which promotes a gliding motion when shaving, thereby reducing the friction that can cause razor cuts from occurring.
- Softens the skin and hair– when you use a shaving gel, your skin and hair to be shaved are softened. This makes it easier to be shaved since you will no longer have the need to apply great pressure just to achieve a clean shave.
- Moisturizes the skin– For people who have sensitive and dry skin, using shaving gels is a great advantage since it moisturizes the skin and keeps it hydrated. As opposed to using soap which can dry the skin, a shaving gel can deeply nourish the skin to prevent it from drying and keep it soft.
- Lets you see what you need to shave better– As compare to other shaving lubricants, shaving gels are clear and transparent. This makes shaving easier since you can see the places that you need to shave because it is not covered with foam or cream. This is a great advantage for individuals who are not completely shaving off their beards and just need to shave a part of it.
Given the advantages of both types of shaving lubricants, you can see that both can provide the needed skin and hair preparation for shaving. Both will also help you in achieving a clean shave while also leaving it soft and moisturized.
Choosing between using a shaving gel or shaving cream lies on which one you are more comfortable to use, especially if you have little time to shave.